Your Google AdSense seasonal guide
This guide is here to help you learn about the importance of seasonality as well as provide you with tips on how to get more from your Google AdSense account and site during peak seasonal traffic. This guide is filled with easy, actionable insights you can start implementing today.
Here’s a sneak peek of what will be posted over the next couple of weeks to prepare you well for this busy time of the year. Let’s get holiday season ready!
- Pre-holiday season: How to prepare?
- During the holiday season: How to maximize the opportunities
- Post holidays: Looking at 2020
Defining seasonal periods
What is seasonality?
Any predictable fluctuation or pattern that recurs over a calendar year is defined as seasonality. It can be categorized into 3 types of events and holidays:
- Cultural (e.g. Ramadan, Thanksgiving, Christmas)
- Commercial (e.g. Black Friday, Singles’ Day, Mother’s Day)
- Ad-hoc events (e.g. Olympics, Elections, TV series)
By spotting events and holidays impacting your audience, you can identify your seasonality opportunities to increase revenue and attract new users.
What drives seasonality?
Publisher revenue is driven by two interlinked factors: RPMs and traffic.
Advertisers are willing to pay more for inventory, leading to higher RPMs. Increased traffic leads to more impressions. These two factors drive seasonal spikes and dips in publisher earnings.
Why is it important for publishers?
Seasonality offers publishers opportunities to attract new audiences and maximize revenues. The upcoming holiday season (October – December) is the biggest annual seasonal opportunity. Let’s explore why!
Large increase in internet traffic (higher query opportunity)
Over the past 5 years, the holiday season internet traffic has grown as users flock online to purchase gifts for themselves and others.
Higher competition between advertisers (higher query opportunity)
The holiday shopping season is the busiest retail period of the year. Advertisers spend more during this time to ensure their products and brands are well-positioned at key events like Black Friday and Cyber Monday. For example, consumers around the world and especially in Asia reportedly spent more than $1 billion in the first 90 seconds of Singles’ Day in 2018. Advertisers are eager to be there for moments like this.
Starting the holiday season marathon
Let’s focus on the upcoming season. The October-December period is a global seasonal marathon offering the greatest annual opportunity to maximize your earnings. In fact, this seasonal opportunity is increasing all over. In 2018, the average global interest in Black Friday grew more than twice over the previous 5 years.
Get your calendar open and mark the following dates:
Let’s see what you can do to make the most out of your site and AdSense account before, during and after the holiday season.
In the blogpost next week we’ll provide you with tips on how to prepare your site and AdSense account for the rush of the holiday season.
Related Google News:
- Let Google Calendar automatically book a replacement room for your events February 25, 2021
- New Cloud Security Podcast by Google is here February 25, 2021
- Reminder: Ending support for IE11 for all Google Workspace apps on March 15 February 25, 2021
- Protect against bot attacks to future-proof your business February 25, 2021
- How Sabre Corporation implemented a culture of secure innovation with Google Cloud and Palo… February 25, 2021
- Easily locate the source file for embedded Drive video and audio files in Google Slides February 25, 2021
- Students Learn Android App Development with Google Developer Student Clubs February 25, 2021
- MongoDB and Google Partner To Drive Enterprise Cloud Modernization February 25, 2021