Waymo raises first external investment round
“Waymo is the proven leader in self-driving technology, is the only autonomous vehicle company with a public ride-hailing service, and is successfully scaling its fully driverless experience,” said Egon Durban, Co-CEO, Silver Lake, and nominee for Waymo’s Operating Board. “We’re deeply aligned with Waymo’s commitment to making our roads safer, and look forward to working together to help advance and scale the Waymo Driver in the U.S. and beyond.”
This investment round follows a recent series of major operational and technical milestones. The Waymo Driver has driven more than 20 million miles on public roads across over 25 cities, and over 10 billion miles in simulation. Engineers and technicians at Waymo’s Detroit factory, the world’s first factory dedicated to the mass production of L4 autonomous vehicles, have shipped the first vehicles (electric cars and Class 8 trucks) integrated with fifth-generation hardware, with all-new, more powerful compute and more capable sensing.
Waymo One, the world’s first public self-driving ride-hailing service, serves thousands of customers in Arizona and has already provided thousands of fully driverless rides to our riders, in a high-speed mixed usage market area larger than San Francisco. The Waymo Driver is now deployed across a variety of vehicle platforms and business applications, including Waymo Via, which is focused on all forms of goods delivery.
We’re grateful for all our new partners who have joined us on our mission of making it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going.
Related Google News:
- Android Dev Challenge: Week 3 - Speed round March 10, 2021
- Expanding the Waymo Open Dataset with Interactive Scenario Data and New Challenges March 10, 2021
- Replaying real life: how the Waymo Driver avoids fatal human crashes March 8, 2021
- Charting a course towards a more privacy-first web March 3, 2021
- Why I Ride with Waymo: Jesse February 19, 2021
- First preview of Android 12 February 18, 2021
- Introducing: Black@Waymo February 4, 2021
- Building a privacy-first future for web advertising January 25, 2021