Waymo One: A year of firsts
One year ago, Waymo became the first and only company in the world to launch a public self-driving ride-hailing service. We now have thousands of people using it in their everyday lives across the Metro Phoenix area and have enjoyed seeing how they rely on the Waymo Driver to get them where they need to be, whether that’s work, the grocery store, or a fun night out.
Waymo One year in review
In the last year, we’ve accomplished a lot and learned even more. Through customer surveys and feedback, we hear a lot about what our riders expect from self-driving technology and how we can continue to improve our service to meet those expectations.
Here are 3 things we’ve learned from our Waymo One riders this year:
- Where they’re going: The majority of Waymo One rides happen in the late afternoon into the evening, and our riders are using the service to do everything from commuting to work and school to running errands and visiting family and friends. Other common Waymo One use cases include going out on a date night, shopping at the local mall, or getting to the gym.
- Why they love using it: Not only do our riders love playing a role in shaping self-driving technology, contributing to a safer future, and the consistency of the Waymo One experience, they also enjoy the fun features we have in our car. In the past year, we’ve added things like: music so riders can rock out, dark mode to make screens dimmer at night, a zoom feature so riders can take a closer look on the screen at what the car is seeing, and a map view that allows riders to see where they are along their route. There are also functional features our riders like, including how easy it is to connect with Rider Support in the car or through their app.
- How we can improve the rider experience: One area we’ve dedicated a lot of time to improving this past year has been pickups and dropoffs. Since there is no driver to call, text, or wave to, we have to ensure our pickup and dropoff locations are precise and well-communicated to riders. Some ways we’ve continued to make this experience even smoother over the past year include making it easier to fine-tune your pickups and dropoffs in the app and improving our recommended pickup and dropoff spots.
Sign up to ride with your iPhone
The Waymo app is now available on the App Store, making it easier to sign up to ride in one of our fully self-driving cars. All U.S. iPhone users can search and download the Waymo app from the App Store and join the waitlist to ride. Once accepted from our waitlist, those located in our Metro Phoenix service area will be able to hail a Waymo ride around town. Riders will continue to be invited to join our early rider program first before moving into Waymo One.
This year, we’ve added a number of new features to the Waymo app to better serve our riders. For example, we simplified our ordering flow to make it faster and easier to request rides. We also added an option to honk the car’s horn from the app, which provides another way for riders (including those with low vision) to find their car at pickup.
The road ahead for Waymo One
Related Google News:
- How one trailblazer uses Maps to explore the outdoors February 23, 2021
- Why I Ride with Waymo: Jesse February 19, 2021
- To the cloud and beyond! Planning a multi-year data center migration February 17, 2021
- Introducing: Black@Waymo February 4, 2021
- Vulnerability Reward Program: 2020 Year in Review February 4, 2021
- New year, same us: Maps trends on 2021 resolutions January 28, 2021
- New Year, new password protections in Chrome January 19, 2021
- Why I Ride with Waymo: Xavier January 13, 2021