Waymo is opening its fully driverless service to the general public in Phoenix
Over time, as we improved the capability of our Waymo Driver, we increased the scope and quantity of our operations, with 5-10% of our rides in 2020 being fully driverless for our exclusive group of early riders under NDA. We’ve been gathering key learnings from these riders on how to optimize our driverless service experience and continuously improve it (in their words, it’s a magical experience). We also began to offer more people access to our public Waymo One service, with a vehicle operator monitoring the ride.
Beginning today, October 8, we’re excited to open up our fully driverless offering to Waymo One riders. Members of the public service can now take friends and family along on their rides and share their experience with the world. We’ll start with those who are already a part of Waymo One and, over the next several weeks, welcome more people directly into the service through our app (available on Google Play and the App Store). In the near term, 100% of our rides will be fully driverless. We expect our new fully driverless service to be very popular, and we’re thankful to our riders for their patience as we ramp up availability to serve demand. Later this year, after we’ve finished adding in-vehicle barriers between the front row and the rear passenger cabin for in-vehicle hygiene and safety, we’ll also be re-introducing rides with a trained vehicle operator, which will add capacity and allow us to serve a larger geographical area.
We’ve achieved this milestone with the thought and care that our riders expect from us. We’ve enhanced our health and safety policies and procedures throughout our fully-owned fleet, sought the feedback of our team, partners, riders, as well as federal, local, and state authorities, all while continuing to advance the Waymo Driver’s capabilities.
To our entire community: thank you for being a part of this important journey. And to all the Waymonauts who’ve worked so hard getting us here: thanks for your dedication to our mission. Together, we’re building a safe and more accessible future with every autonomous mile we drive.
Check out more on how we’re safely resuming our rider services at waymo.com/coronavirus.
Related Google News:
- Announcing Google Cloud Public Sector Summit, a free global digital event: Dec. 8-9 October 1, 2020
- Working together while apart: How we helped a telecom kick off its digital transformation… September 30, 2020
- Service accounts in Google Groups and with Groups API now generally available September 29, 2020
- A decade of evolution by SADA and its customers with Google Maps Platform September 25, 2020
- The Waymo Driver Handbook: How our highly-detailed maps help unlock new locations for… September 21, 2020
- Google Pay picks Flutter to drive its global product development September 19, 2020
- Making data useful for public health September 17, 2020
- GKE powers new software-defined NetApp Cloud Volumes Service September 16, 2020