Use NFC and USB security keys natively on iOS devices
We’re making it easier to use security keys with your Google Account on iOS devices. Specifically, we’re enabling native support for the W3C WebAuthn implementation on Apple devices running iOS 13.3 and above. This means you can use a USB or NFC security key directly on an iOS device, without installing the Google Smart Lock app.
Why it’s important
Security keys provide the strongest form of 2-Step Verification (also known as two-factor authentication or 2FA) to help protect your account against phishing, especially when used as part of the Advanced Protection Program for the enterprise. With this launch you can now:
- Tap a Titan Security Key (all of which have built-in NFC) on the back of your iPhone.
- Use any USB security key directly on an iOS device that has a USB port (such as an iPad Pro) or via an Apple Lightning to USB camera adapter on any other device.
- Use Bluetooth security keys or your phone’s built-in security key on any iOS device via the Google Smart Lock app.
We hope this launch makes it easier for iOS users to take advantage of the protection security keys offer. See more about why this matters and how to use it on our Security blog.
- Admins: This feature will be available for all users by default. Visit the Help Center to learn more about how to protect your business with 2-Step Verification and how the Advanced Protection Program can help protect your users.
- End users: This feature will be OFF by default. To turn it on, add your Google Account to your iOS device at Settings > Passwords & Accounts, or install the Google app and sign in. Visit the Help Center to learn more about how to use a security key for 2-Step Verification and get stronger account security with the Advanced Protection Program.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on June 3, 2020
- Available to all G Suite and Cloud Identity customers, as well as users with personal Google Accounts
Related Google News:
- High throughput VM logging and metrics agent now in Preview March 23, 2021
- Progress and Challenges in Long-Form Open-Domain Question Answering March 23, 2021
- Introducing Network Connectivity Center: A revolution in simplifying on-prem and cloud networking March 23, 2021
- Safeguarding time and attention with Google Workspace and Gmail March 23, 2021
- Next-gen virtual automotive showrooms are here, thanks to Google Cloud, Unreal Engine, and NVIDIA March 23, 2021
- Customize notification frequency with more options in Google Chat and Chat in Gmail March 22, 2021
- New and improved Google Chat UI on the web March 22, 2021
- The past, present and future of custom compute at Google March 22, 2021