Rooms in Google Chat to be unthreaded by default starting November 16
Quick launch summary
Starting November 16, 2020, new rooms created in Google Chat will be unthreaded by default.
Today, conversations in rooms must be grouped into threads. This change introduces a simpler type of conversation, without threads—giving you greater flexibility in your discussions.
With the change later this month, when you create a new room, conversations will not use threads unless you turn on threading. (Note that you cannot change whether a room is threaded or unthreaded after it’s created.)
Additionally, unlike in threaded rooms, in unthreaded rooms you can toggle history on and off. A room history setting is available in the Admin console that allows admins to decide the default history setting for rooms within their organization that support the toggle.
Your existing rooms won’t change—you can continue to participate in threaded rooms and create more.
- Admins: This feature will be available by default. Admins can set a room history setting for unthreaded rooms.
- End users: Unthreaded rooms will now be the default. You can turn on threaded replies when creating the room.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Full rollout (1-3 days for feature visibility) starting on November 16, 2020
- Available to Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Education, Enterprise for Education, and Nonprofits customers,
- Google Workspace Admin Help: Turn Chat history on or off for users
- Google Workspace Admin Help: Set room history on or off
Related Google News:
- How to use multi-VPC networking in Google Cloud VMware Engine April 26, 2021
- Recommended strategies and best practices for designing and developing games and stories on… April 26, 2021
- La que nos une: Univision partners with Google Cloud to transform media experiences April 26, 2021
- Colgate-Palmolive moves to the cloud with Chrome Enterprise and Google Workspace April 26, 2021
- Seven-Eleven Japan uses Google Cloud to serve up real-time data for fast business decisions April 26, 2021
- Build security into Google Cloud deployments with our updated security foundations blueprint April 26, 2021
- Admins will now be alerted when there is an issue with their Google Voice auto attendants or… April 26, 2021
- Edit details in line with Google Tasks on the web April 26, 2021