Racers on your mark: Creating a space for students to engage with the full
Last year around this time, I found myself on a racetrack in Hockenheim, Germany, at Formula Student Germany as a student on the MIT/Delft team. Formula Student is an international design competition, where students with various backgrounds, ranging from mechanical and software engineering to finance and marketing, join forces to design, build, and race a prototype self-driving racecar. This project was one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my life; seeing an idea transform from a concept pitch and a system architecture diagram to a car driving itself on a racetrack in Germany was extremely rewarding, but by no means easy.
Now, a year after graduating and beginning my job as a Product Manager at Waymo, I am excited to grow the relationship between Formula Student Germany and Waymo. We plan to create an opportunity for North American students from all sorts of backgrounds including electrical, mechanical, and software engineering to interact with the full AV stack and participate in a longer-term project that brings racing and autonomy together in North America.
As a first step, FSG and Waymo are hosting a virtual workshop on August 29th and 30th for students from North America and around the globe already building driverless vehicles or interested in developing these skills in the coming years. Participants will gain insights on how we create the Waymo Driver as well as learn how to get started of several top Formula Student teams.
Click here if you are interested in joining us for the virtual workshop, and we look forward to seeing you back on the track.
Related Google News:
- Optimizing your bucket options in Cloud Storage February 27, 2021
- Let Google Calendar automatically book a replacement room for your events February 25, 2021
- Protect against bot attacks to future-proof your business February 25, 2021
- Students Learn Android App Development with Google Developer Student Clubs February 25, 2021
- Your Android is now even safer — and 5 other new features February 23, 2021
- At your service! With schedule-based autoscaling, VMs are at the ready February 22, 2021
- Stay informed by customizing your budgets February 22, 2021
- More options for sharing your availability in Google Calendar February 22, 2021