Racers on your mark: Creating a space for students to engage with the full
Last year around this time, I found myself on a racetrack in Hockenheim, Germany, at Formula Student Germany as a student on the MIT/Delft team. Formula Student is an international design competition, where students with various backgrounds, ranging from mechanical and software engineering to finance and marketing, join forces to design, build, and race a prototype self-driving racecar. This project was one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my life; seeing an idea transform from a concept pitch and a system architecture diagram to a car driving itself on a racetrack in Germany was extremely rewarding, but by no means easy.
Now, a year after graduating and beginning my job as a Product Manager at Waymo, I am excited to grow the relationship between Formula Student Germany and Waymo. We plan to create an opportunity for North American students from all sorts of backgrounds including electrical, mechanical, and software engineering to interact with the full AV stack and participate in a longer-term project that brings racing and autonomy together in North America.
As a first step, FSG and Waymo are hosting a virtual workshop on August 29th and 30th for students from North America and around the globe already building driverless vehicles or interested in developing these skills in the coming years. Participants will gain insights on how we create the Waymo Driver as well as learn how to get started of several top Formula Student teams.
Click here if you are interested in joining us for the virtual workshop, and we look forward to seeing you back on the track.
Related Google News:
- Blast off into Entertainment Space on your Android tablet May 5, 2021
- Why creating inclusive classrooms matters May 5, 2021
- Debugging your Proxyless gRPC service mesh May 4, 2021
- Diving into your documents with DocAI May 4, 2021
- Retire your tech debt: Move vSphere 5.5+ to Google Cloud VMware Engine May 4, 2021
- Include Cloud Spanner databases in your CI/CD process with the Liquibase extension May 3, 2021
- Email threads with recipients outside your organization will be labeled “External” April 29, 2021
- Updated guidance to improve your app quality and discovery on Google Play April 29, 2021