Partnering with UPS to deliver on our mission
We’ve built the Waymo Driver so that it can be deployed across a variety of vehicle platforms, as well as business applications that encompass not only transporting people, but also transporting goods. At Waymo, our mission is to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going so it’s important that we focus on creating a safer driving experience for all types of vehicles, including those that deliver goods to our homes and businesses each day. The Waymo Driver can power a range of use cases from ride-hailing to trucking and logistics, to delivery, to public transportation and even personal cars (down the road!).
For instance, we extended our partnership with AutoNation last year to include an autonomous parts delivery pilot. Through this pilot, AutoNation now delivers car parts that fit safely and securely in our Waymo Chrysler Pacifica minivans, on demand.
In our efforts to continue expanding our delivery business, we’re excited to announce a new strategic partnership with UPS, starting with a first-of-its-kind deal for the Waymo Driver to deliver packages on behalf of the national parcel delivery carrier. Our self-driving Chrysler Pacifica minivans will shuttle packages from UPS Stores in the Metro Phoenix area to the UPS Tempe hub as part of a pilot that will explore customer and operational benefits and illustrate how the Waymo Driver can deliver on behalf of clients safely, efficiently, and, eventually, at scale. The pilot will begin this quarter and our team will work closely with UPS to with the goal of jointly developing a long-term plan.
For this pilot, Waymo vehicles will drive autonomously with a trained operator on board to monitor transportation operations.
We’re confident this strategic partnership with UPS will help us deliver on our goal to improve customer service and network efficiency, and ultimately, make roads safer.
Related Google News:
- Our annual Ads Safety Report March 17, 2021
- Casa dos Ventos advances sustainability mission with SAP S/4HANA on Google Cloud March 12, 2021
- Mission Critical Services: for the most demanding enterprise environments March 11, 2021
- Increasing our engagement with the voice technology community March 10, 2021
- Hear how digital businesses grew in our new podcast, PubCast March 2, 2021
- Our 2020 environmental report March 2, 2021
- Get to know Mustafa, our latest Trending Artist on the Rise March 2, 2021
- Our commitment to the privacy and security of Google Workspace customer data March 1, 2021