New option to block devices with basic management from accessing your organization’s data
We’re adding the ability for admins to manually block or unblock mobile apps from accessing access to their organization’s Google Workspace data on Android and iOS devices with basic mobile management. These actions can be automated using device management rules (for supported editions).
Why it’s important
Previously, admins had a limited set of actions they could perform with basic management—they could wipe an account or delete the device from inventory. However, they couldn’t block apps on those devices from accessing organizational data in the way that they could for devices with advanced mobile management. This launch makes that possible, helping to keep your organization’s data secure.
While the blocking action is the same for devices with basic and advanced management, advanced management allows you to proactively block devices based on the Require Admin Approval setting. With basic management, you can only do this on a per-device basis.
- Admins: This feature will be available by default. To use it, navigate to a device page in the Admin console and click block device. Visit the Help Center to learn more about blocking and unblocking devices.
- End users: If a user’s device is blocked by an admin, the user will be signed out of all Google Workspace mobile apps. If they try to sign in again, they will see a message indicating that they do not have access to the app, and that they should contact their administrator for help.
New option to block a device available for devices with basic management
Once a device is manually blocked, admins can unblock the device
Those trying to access Google Workspace apps on a blocked device will see a message to contact the administrator for help
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on January 13, 2021.
- Available to Google Workspace Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Essentials, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, and Enterprise Plus, as well as G Suite Basic, Business, Education, Enterprise for Education, and Nonprofits customers
Related Google News:
- Google BigQuery is a Leader in The 2021 Forrester Wave: Cloud Data Warehouse March 24, 2021
- Sustainable Monetized Websites: A new video series March 24, 2021
- New and improved Google Chat UI on the web March 22, 2021
- Changes to Google Drive search operators may alter your Google Vault search results March 22, 2021
- Be informed when someone subscribes to email notifications of your Calendar March 22, 2021
- Additional language support for live captions in Google Meet on Android and iOS devices March 22, 2021
- What industry leaders teach us about the future of data March 19, 2021
- Building real-time market data front-ends with websockets and Google Cloud March 18, 2021