New document save status and offline indicator for Docs, Sheets, and Slides
Quick launch summary
We’re updating the interface which tells users about the file save status and whether they’re working online or offline in Google Docs editors and Drawings. The changes will help users understand where the file is saved, whether they’re connected to the network, and if the file is available to edit offline.
This is an update to the interface only – there are no changes in the underlying functionality. The changes you may notice include:
- A new location for document save status next to the document name.
- More descriptive text to indicate whether a document is saved to the cloud (when online) or to the device (offline).
- A new way to enable offline by clicking on the document status icon. Previously, you had to go to File > Make available offline.
For users in domains where admins have turned off Docs editors offline access, we will adjust the message shown to users in order to minimize confusion regarding settings controlled by their admin.
See images below for more details.
- Admins: This interface update will be enabled by default. Use our Help Center to control whether your organization’s files are available offline.
- End users: This feature will be ON by default. Use our Help Center to learn more about working on Docs, Sheets, and Slides offline.
- Rapid Release domains: Already available to Rapid Release domains
- Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on June 8, 2020
- Available to all G Suite customers and users with personal Google Accounts.
Related Google News:
- Introducing new connectors for Workflows April 26, 2021
- Recommended strategies and best practices for designing and developing games and stories on… April 26, 2021
- Colgate-Palmolive moves to the cloud with Chrome Enterprise and Google Workspace April 26, 2021
- Data analytics and intelligence tools to play a key role post-COVID April 23, 2021
- Chrome 91: Handwriting Recognition, WebXR Plane Detection and More April 22, 2021
- Contributing to a sustainable future with Chrome OS and partners April 22, 2021
- Control your data usage and improve device performance with new data saver setting for… April 22, 2021
- Better protect your web apps and APIs against threats and fraud with Google Cloud April 22, 2021