Lock files via the Google Drive API to prevent content edits
You can now add and remove content restrictions via the Drive API. By using the new ContentRestriction API, any file type in Drive can be “locked,” preventing changes to the item’s content, title, and comments.
Content restrictions can be added or removed via the API and removed via Google Drive on the web by any user who has at least editor access level for the item.
Learn more about the new API functions in this Drive ContentRestriction (Locking) API documentation.
Admins, end users, and developers
Why you’d use it
While Google Drive’s collaborative editing and commenting features are often helpful and beneficial, sometimes it’s important to know that changes are not being made to a document. Locking a file with the ContentRestriction API can help accomplish this, and could be used to:
- Lock authoritative versions of documents to create “official” or “final” documents for record keeping.
- Prevent changes to documents that are involved in a workflow, automation, or business process.
- Freezing activity on a document for a period of reviews or audits.
- Admins and developers: Admins and developers with editor content access level and up and can use the API. See the Google Drive API documentation and our getting started guide (with examples) to learn more.
- End users: End users with editor content access level and up and can use the API. See the Google Drive API documentation and our getting started guide (with examples) to learn more.
- This feature is available now for all users.
- Available to all customers
- This feature was listed as an upcoming release.
Related Google News:
- See read receipts on direct messages in Google Chat, now generally available October 8, 2020
- Dial into Google Meet from eight additional markets October 8, 2020
- Star favorite conversations in Google Groups October 8, 2020
- Announcing the 2020 Google PhD Fellows October 8, 2020
- 'Hey Google' now works with your Android apps October 8, 2020
- This researcher is tracking COVID with help from Google October 8, 2020
- How Google autocomplete predictions are generated October 8, 2020
- Top brands integrate Google Assistant with new tools and features for Android apps and Smart… October 8, 2020