Improving originality reports in Google Classroom and Assignments to better detect potential plagiarism
Quick launch summary
Originality reports in Google Classroom and Assignments are now better at detecting potential plagiarism by alerting you when a document contains symbols from different alphabets or other writing systems.
Students sometimes swap out specific characters with similar looking symbols in order to trick plagiarism detection technology. For example, if the letter “a” is replaced with the Greek symbol “⍺” or Cyrillic symbol “α,” a plagiarized assignment may not be detected as such.
Originality reports will now alert you when a document contacts symbols from another alphabet or writing system. Educators can then review it and determine whether the student had a legitimate reason for using those different symbols. Note that students who use originality reports will not see this feature.
- Admins: There is no admin control for this feature.
- End users: This feature will be automatically available to educators when originality reports are turned on for an assignment. Visit the Help Center to learn more about using originality reports.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on December 2, 2020
- Available to G Suite for Education and Enterprise for Education customers, as well as standalone Classroom and Assignments users
- Not available to Google Workspace Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, and Enterprise Plus, as well as G Suite Basic, Business and Nonprofits customers
Related Google News:
- Google Workspace Updates Weekly Recap - February 19, 2021 February 19, 2021
- Architect your data lake on Google Cloud with Data Fusion and Composer February 19, 2021
- Black History Month: Celebrating the success of Black founders with Google Cloud: Get Optimal Tech February 19, 2021
- New option to download third-party apps and domain wide delegation to CSV February 18, 2021
- Changes to information visibility in Meet quality tool, Meet audit log, and Reports API February 18, 2021
- Marian Croak’s vision for responsible AI at Google February 18, 2021
- Basis Universal Textures - Khronos Ratification and Support February 18, 2021
- Apple TV+ is now available on Google TV February 18, 2021