Group membership expiration now generally available
Quick launch summary
The Cloud Identity Groups API feature that enables you to set expirations for group memberships is now generally available. It was previously available in beta.
This enables admins to set an amount of time that users and service accounts are members of a group. Once the specified time has passed, users will be removed from the group automatically. Automatic membership expiration can help reduce the administrative overhead for managing groups, and can help ensure group membership is limited to the members that need access.
See our beta announcement for more information and use cases for membership expiry.
This launch is another enhancement to the Cloud Identity Groups API. We recently also made the indirect membership visibility and membership hierarchy APIs generally available. Together, these make it easier to manage permissions and access control in your organization.
- Admins and developers: Membership expiry is available to use for new and existing groups. Admins with permissions to modify groups memberships can set expiration. To get started, use the Cloud Identity Groups API.
- End users: Group owners and managers can set expiration. To get started, use the Cloud Identity Groups API.
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Full rollout (1–3 days for feature visibility) starting on February 8, 2021.
- Available to Google Workspace Enterprise Standard and Enterprise Plus, as well as G Suite Enterprise for Education and Cloud Identity Premium customers
- Not available to Google Workspace Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, and Enterprise Essentials, as well as G Suite Basic, Business, Education, and Nonprofits customers
Related Google News:
- Apple TV+ is now available on Google TV February 18, 2021
- Automatic group membership management with dynamic groups, now generally available February 17, 2021
- Limit Google Drive sharing to specific groups with target audiences, now generally available February 16, 2021
- Service Directory is generally available: Simplify your service inventory February 16, 2021
- Email aliases now included in Gmail search results February 11, 2021
- Security groups now generally available February 9, 2021
- Postmaster Tools API now available February 4, 2021
- Applications are now open for the second cohort of the Google for Startups Accelerator Canada February 2, 2021