Group membership expiration available in beta
We’re adding the ability to set expirations for group memberships using the Cloud Identity Groups API. This enables admins to set an amount of time that users are members of a group. Once the specified time has passed, users will be removed from the group automatically.
Membership expiry is currently available as an open beta, which means you can use it without enrolling in a specific beta program.
Admins and developers
Why it’s important
Groups are a powerful way to manage permissions and access control in your organization.In many cases,, there’s a known amount of time that a user should be a member of a group. This can make managing membership time consuming, and increases the possibility that a user has overly-broad access.
Automatic membership expiration can help reduce the administrative overhead for managing groups, and can help ensure group membership is limited to the members that need access. This can help:
- Increase security by ensuring users do not have long lived membership in groups, and that your group memberships don’t become too expansive.
- Manage security groups by using group membership with our recent launch of security groups.
- Reduce admin time and administration costs by automating some group management tasks
- Admins: Membership expiry is available to use for new and existing groups. Admins with permissions to modify groups memberships can set expiration. To get started, use the Cloud Identity Groups API.
- End users: Group owners and managers can set expiration. To get started, use the Cloud Identity Groups API.
- This feature is available now for all users.
- Available to G Suite Enterprise, G Suite Enterprise for Education, and Cloud Identity Premium customers
- Not available to G Suite Basic, G Suite Business, G Suite for Education, G Suite for Nonprofits, G Suite Essentials, and Cloud Identity Free customers
Related Google News:
- Google Developer Group Spotlight: A conversation with Cloud Architect, Ilias Papachristos April 23, 2021
- Customers cut document processing time and costs with DocAI solutions, now generally available April 21, 2021
- Reminder: Website creation in classic Google Sites will no longer be available starting May 15, 2021 April 20, 2021
- School matches are available in originality reports for Education customers April 14, 2021
- SignAll SDK: Sign language interface using MediaPipe is now available for developers April 14, 2021
- Announcing the First Group of Google Open Source Peer Bonus winners in 2021! April 8, 2021
- Automatically save your response progress in Google Forms: Beta available for Google… April 1, 2021
- Google Workspace Frontline is now available March 23, 2021