Grant access to Drive files directly from Gmail
Quick launch summary
We’re making it easier to manage access requests to Drive files by sending dynamic emails which allow you to respond to the request without leaving Gmail.
When someone requests access to a Drive file, you’ll receive an email with the access request. Now, Gmail users will be able to manage that request directly from that email, without leaving the message. Specifically, you’ll receive a dynamic email that lets you review the request, choose the access level (e.g. edit, comment, or view), and grant access directly from the email.
Previously, you had to open the document in a new tab or app to manage the access request. The dynamic email will make it quicker and simpler to manage these requests and control access to your files. It will work for Gmail users on the web, on Android, and on iOS.
Note that the ‘from’ address for access request emails is changing with this launch. They will now come from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Admins: This feature will be ON by default if dynamic email is available for your users. Use our Help Center to learn more about dynamic email and how to turn it on or off for your users.
- End users: This feature will be ON by default for users with dynamic email turned on. Use the Help Center to learn more about how to turn dynamic email on or off for your account.
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on October 20, 2020
- Available to Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Education, Enterprise for Education, and Nonprofits customers, and users with personal Google Accounts
Related Google News:
- Strengthen zero trust access with the Google Cloud CA service October 19, 2020
- Enhancing Google Workspace Add-ons in Gmail with Compose-time functions October 15, 2020
- Providing open access to the Genome Aggregation Database (gnomAD) on Google Cloud October 9, 2020
- Lock files via the Google Drive API to prevent content edits October 8, 2020
- Access checker for Slides now checks permissions when you share with new users October 8, 2020
- Drive conversions with Google Maps Platform retail solutions October 7, 2020
- Mention a user directly within a Google Doc October 7, 2020
- Google Nest Device Access Console now available for partners and individuals September 22, 2020