Grant access to Drive files directly from Gmail
Quick launch summary
We’re making it easier to manage access requests to Drive files by sending dynamic emails which allow you to respond to the request without leaving Gmail.
When someone requests access to a Drive file, you’ll receive an email with the access request. Now, Gmail users will be able to manage that request directly from that email, without leaving the message. Specifically, you’ll receive a dynamic email that lets you review the request, choose the access level (e.g. edit, comment, or view), and grant access directly from the email.
Previously, you had to open the document in a new tab or app to manage the access request. The dynamic email will make it quicker and simpler to manage these requests and control access to your files. It will work for Gmail users on the web, on Android, and on iOS.
Note that the ‘from’ address for access request emails is changing with this launch. They will now come from email@example.com.
- Admins: This feature will be ON by default if dynamic email is available for your users. Use our Help Center to learn more about dynamic email and how to turn it on or off for your users.
- End users: This feature will be ON by default for users with dynamic email turned on. Use the Help Center to learn more about how to turn dynamic email on or off for your account.
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on October 20, 2020
- Available to Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Education, Enterprise for Education, and Nonprofits customers, and users with personal Google Accounts
Related Google News:
- Safeguarding time and attention with Google Workspace and Gmail March 23, 2021
- Customize notification frequency with more options in Google Chat and Chat in Gmail March 22, 2021
- Find files shared with you using updated search operators in Google Drive March 22, 2021
- Changes to Google Drive search operators may alter your Google Vault search results March 22, 2021
- New ways to keep track of important notifications in Google Drive on mobile March 15, 2021
- Add files owned by suspended accounts to shared drives March 4, 2021
- Enhanced admin controls for Gmail IMAP March 2, 2021
- Expanding data regions coverage to Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides user indices March 1, 2021