Find logs fast with new “tail -f” functionality in Cloud Logging
When you’re troubleshooting an app or a deployment, every second counts! Cloud Logging helps you troubleshoot by aggregating logs from across Google Cloud, on-premises or other clouds, indexing, aggregating logs into metrics, scanning for unique errors with Error Reporting and making logs available for search, all in less than a minute. And now, we’ve built two new features for streaming logs to give you even fresher insights from your logs data.
By popular demand from Linux users, we added a new tool to mimic the behavior of the
tail -f command, which allows you to display the contents of a log file to the console in real time. We’ve also included upgrades beyond the well-loved tail tool such as searching across all logs from all your resources at once and the ability to use Cloud Logging’s powerful logging query language including global search, regular expressions, substring matches, etc., all still in real-time.
You can use the logging query language with the new live feature to find information in your logs in real-time. For example, let’s say you just deployed a new application and want to look at all error logs:
gcloud alpha logging tail "severity>=ERROR"
But this returns too many results so you narrow the scope to just logs that include the text “currency”:
gcloud alpha logging tail "severity>=ERROR AND currency"
This search returns a meaningful set of logs, all still in real time.
And if you prefer using Google Cloud Console, we’ve got great news for you as well. You can now stream logs to Logs Explorer as well as easily stream, pause, explore, link to traces, resume streaming, visualize counts and download logs, all from the Cloud Console.
Related Google News:
- Introducing Network Connectivity Center: A revolution in simplifying on-prem and cloud networking March 23, 2021
- Next-gen virtual automotive showrooms are here, thanks to Google Cloud, Unreal Engine, and NVIDIA March 23, 2021
- New and improved Google Chat UI on the web March 22, 2021
- Find files shared with you using updated search operators in Google Drive March 22, 2021
- Road to recovery: How Google Cloud is helping states get the COVID-19 vaccine to more people March 22, 2021
- You make the rules with authentication controls for Cloud Storage March 19, 2021
- Pega: Optimizing business operations with SAP on Google Cloud March 19, 2021
- A2 VMs now GA—the largest GPU cloud instances with NVIDIA A100 GPUs March 18, 2021