Exposure Notification API launches to support public health agencies
Note: The following is a joint statement from Apple and Google.
One of the most effective techniques that public health officials have used during outbreaks is called contact tracing. Through this approach, public health officials contact, test, treat and advise people who may have been exposed to an affected person. One new element of contact tracing is Exposure Notifications: using privacy-preserving digital technology to tell someone they may have been exposed to the virus. Exposure Notification has the specific goal of rapid notification, which is especially important to slowing the spread of the disease with a virus that can be spread asymptomatically.
To help, Apple and Google cooperated to build Exposure Notifications technology that will enable apps created by public health agencies to work more accurately, reliably and effectively across both Android phones and iPhones. Over the last several weeks, our two companies have worked together, reaching out to public health officials, scientists, privacy groups and government leaders all over the world to get their input and guidance.
Starting today, our Exposure Notifications technology is available to public health agencies on both iOS and Android. What we’ve built is not an app—rather public health agencies will incorporate the API into their own apps that people install. Our technology is designed to make these apps work better. Each user gets to decide whether or not to opt-in to Exposure Notifications; the system does not collect or use location from the device; and if a person is diagnosed with COVID-19, it is up to them whether or not to report that in the public health app. User adoption is key to success and we believe that these strong privacy protections are also the best way to encourage use of these apps.
Today, this technology is in the hands of public health agencies across the world who will take the lead and we will continue to support their efforts.
Related Google News:
- Google Cloud announces new region to support growing customer base in Israel April 28, 2021
- Cloud Spanner launches customer-managed encryption keys and Access Approval April 22, 2021
- 3 ways to find and support eco-friendly places on Maps April 22, 2021
- A new certification for health insurance advertisers in the U.S. April 20, 2021
- Proxyless gRPC adds support for advanced traffic management features April 20, 2021
- Dr. Ivor Horn talks about technology and health equity April 16, 2021
- A training network to support diversity in journalism April 12, 2021
- How to use PyTorch Lightning's built-in TPU support April 9, 2021