Enhancing Add-ons in Gmail with Compose-time functions
Posted by Jon Harmer, Product Manager, Google Workspace
Google Workspace Add-ons can already do lots of cool things in Gmail. In addition to providing a way to interact with the other apps that you use every day, from the right hand sidebar as you read a Gmail message, Google Workspace add-ons can also provide another integration point: when you are composing new messages or replying to existing ones. This allows Google Workspace add-ons to make it easier for you to work with multiple applications when you are working on your daily routine of reading and responding to email.
More ways of creating
Previously, the only way a developer could modify the draft of a message in Gmail was by inserting content at the user’s cursor. But we have enhanced this functionality, and now you can enable your add-on to modify the To, CC, and BCC fields, the Subject Line, and you can insert content into the top or bottom of the message the user is composing.
This opens up a number of interesting possibilities. You could use the add-on to BCC your CRM, which allows you to log that message to the appropriate CRM record. Or you could insert a footer to the message or a tag in the subject line depending on who the message is being sent to. You can even insert message templates into the top of the email and help users to compose messages in order to give them a nicer look and feel.
Convenient and secure
These enhancements to Compose Actions are a new feature of Google Workspace Add-ons, which means the moment you authorize action with the feature, they will work in Gmail across mobile and web. Google Workspace admins can also easily allowlist the add-ons they want to enable for their organization.
Try Compose Actions today
Google Workspace and Gmail users can check out the Google Workspace Marketplace to find and install add-ons, with more compose actions coming soon. Developers can also consult our documentation to build their own.
Sign up for early access programs
If you want to subscribe to news & updates about the Google Workspace developer platform or sign up to be considered for any of our Early Access Programs, click here.
Related Google News:
- Customers cut document processing time and costs with DocAI solutions, now generally available April 21, 2021
- More time, tools, and details on the page experience update April 19, 2021
- Time flies in Google Earth’s biggest update in years April 15, 2021
- Reclaim time and talent with AppSheet Automation April 14, 2021
- Creating a serverless pipeline for real-time market data April 7, 2021
- 11 quick tips for making the most of Gmail, Meet, Calendar, and more in Google Workspace April 1, 2021
- Add and manage four new types of citations in Google Docs March 31, 2021
- Using BigQuery Administrator for real-time monitoring March 25, 2021