Enable the new integrated experience in G Suite across the web and Android
Quick launch summary
We recently announced a new integrated workspace that brings your favorite G Suite apps closer together. We’re now rolling out this workspace to Gmail on the web and Android. Stay tuned to the G Suite Updates blog for information on the timing of the launch to iOS.
Gmail will now feature four distinct components:
- Mail, which has not changed and is the same Gmail experience users know and love.
- Chat, which allows users to message individuals and small groups directly.
- Rooms, which are spaces that include shared chat, files, and tasks to help groups more easily work on projects.
- Meet, which features upcoming meetings that you can view and join.
|Mail,Chat Rooms and Meet tabs Gmail on mobile|
With this launch, you’ll also be able to open and co-edit a document with your team without leaving Gmail. This will make it easier for you to collaborate directly within the context of where you’re doing your work at that moment.
In addition, we’ve introduced several new tools to help you prioritize and stay focused. You can now:
- Assign group tasks.
- Get notified about task updates in rooms.
- Pin important rooms so they’re easier to find and access.
- Set your availability to “Do not disturb.”
- Better protect your time with status notices in Chat like “Out of office.”
- See files shared in a room.
- See integrated search results and toggle between Email and Chat results on the web.
- Start a new meeting or see your upcoming meetings under “Meet” on the web.
We hope this new integrated experience in Gmail helps you stay focused, be productive, and collaborate more effectively—no matter what your workspace looks like.
Admins: These features will launch to all domains with Chat preferred enabled. Chat preferred can be enabled at the organizational unit (OU) or domain level. We recommend migrating your organization all at once to avoid any disruption.
Note, certain features included in this launch require specific services to be enabled in the Admin console. Visit the Help Center for more information about ensuring you have these services properly configured.
End users: Visit the Help Center to learn more about turning Chat in Gmail and Meet in Gmail on or off.
- Available to all G Suite customers
Related Google News:
- Lyra: A New Very Low Bitrate Codec for Speech Compression February 25, 2021
- New Cloud Security Podcast by Google is here February 25, 2021
- Low-Power Sleep Tracking on Android February 25, 2021
- Framework for building a configuration driven data lake using Data Fusion and Composer February 25, 2021
- How Sabre Corporation implemented a culture of secure innovation with Google Cloud and Palo… February 25, 2021
- Celebrating the influence and contributions of Black+ Security & Privacy Googlers February 25, 2021
- Easily locate the source file for embedded Drive video and audio files in Google Slides February 25, 2021
- New in BigQuery BI Engine: faster insights across popular BI tools February 25, 2021