Create breakout rooms for more engaged distance learning in Google Meet
Organizers of Enterprise for Education meetings can now use breakout rooms to divide participants into smaller groups during video calls in Meet. Participants can then easily rejoin the original meeting following their smaller group discussion.
This feature will be launching to additional Google Workspace editions later this year.
|Use breakout rooms in Meet|
Why you’d use it
With this highly-requested feature, educators can offer increased engagement in their classes by splitting students up for simultaneous small group discussions or working time. Moderators can also jump between breakout rooms to monitor and participate in discussions.
You can create up to 100 breakout rooms in a call. Call participants will then be randomly and equally distributed across the rooms. You can also manually move people into different rooms. Check out the Help Center for more details.
While only event creators can create breakout rooms, anyone with a Google account that is joining from the web or through the Meet app can be a participant.
Breakout rooms must be created during a video call on a computer.
- Admins: There is no admin control for this feature.
- End users: This feature will be available by default. Visit the Help Center to learn more about using breakout rooms in Meet.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Full rollout (1–3 days for feature visibility) starting on October 8, 2020
- Available to Enterprise for Education customers
- Not available to Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Education, and Nonprofits customers. Stay tuned to the Google Workspace Updates blog for information when this launches to additional customers.
- This feature was listed as an upcoming release.
Related Google News:
- New look and feel for the Google Meet Android mobile app October 9, 2020
- Neural Structured Learning in TFX October 9, 2020
- Providing open access to the Genome Aggregation Database (gnomAD) on Google Cloud October 9, 2020
- Announcing Google Cloud buildpacks—container images made easy October 9, 2020
- Lock files via the Google Drive API to prevent content edits October 8, 2020
- See read receipts on direct messages in Google Chat, now generally available October 8, 2020
- Dial into Google Meet from eight additional markets October 8, 2020
- Star favorite conversations in Google Groups October 8, 2020