Check your video and peripheral device quality before joining a Google Meet call
We’re making it possible to quickly preview how you’ll appear to others before entering a Google Meet video call. You can use this new functionality to confirm that peripheral devices are properly configured and corrected, to check that your network connectivity is good, and to understand the impact of noise cancellation on your audio (if it’s available to your account).
When a problem is detected, you’ll see a warning and tips for troubleshooting common issues, like granting your browser permission to use the microphone or camera.
Why it’s important
With this new feature, you can enter meetings confident that your technology is working and that you’ll appear the way you want to to others.
- For example, you can catch issues like:
- An unintentionally muted microphone
- A secondary display monitor with a missing headphone or speaker connection
- Other audio issues, such as poor sound quality, audio that’s too loud, or your microphone amplifying background noises
In addition, you can make adjustments to lighting and positioning, helping you avoid dark or grainy video quality.
- Admins: There is no admin control for this feature.
- End users: There is no end user setting for this feature. On the screen before joining a meeting, click the “Check your audio and video” button.
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on February 2, 2021
- Available to Google Workspace Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, and Enterprise Plus, as well as G Suite Basic, Business, Education, Enterprise for Education, and Nonprofits customers
Related Google News:
- Google Workspace Updates Weekly Recap - February 19, 2021 February 19, 2021
- Architect your data lake on Google Cloud with Data Fusion and Composer February 19, 2021
- Black History Month: Celebrating the success of Black founders with Google Cloud: Get Optimal Tech February 19, 2021
- New option to download third-party apps and domain wide delegation to CSV February 18, 2021
- Changes to information visibility in Meet quality tool, Meet audit log, and Reports API February 18, 2021
- Marian Croak’s vision for responsible AI at Google February 18, 2021
- Basis Universal Textures - Khronos Ratification and Support February 18, 2021
- Apple TV+ is now available on Google TV February 18, 2021