Charge it up: New Geo Maps features for electric vehicles rolling out in Canada
Electric vehicles (EVs) are growing in popularity. Still, planning a road trip with charge stops on route can feel like solving a puzzle. With an EV, you need to find recharging stations within range that also have your specific plug type and can recharge you as quickly as you need.
To take the guesswork out of trip planning and recharging, we’re rolling out three new features for EVs with Google Maps built in.
Taking the stress out of EV route planning
Newly developed routing algorithms that use a type of math called graph theory serve up stress-free routes and charging stop recommendations in the latest release of Google Maps that’s built into participating EVs, including the Polestar 2 and Volvo XC40 Recharge.
Now when you enter a destination that requires two or more recharge stops, algorithms in Maps will search and filter through tens to thousands of public charging stations to find the most efficient route — all in less than 10 seconds. You can see how long each charge will take and your updated total trip time, so your final ETA will never again be a mystery.
Hit the road with confidence
For shorter trips where only one charge is needed, like a Saturday hike or weekend getaway, you can select a charging station that best fits your needs from a list of recharge points in Google Maps. You can see which charging stations are the fastest and select specific stations if you have a membership. You can also see if a charging spot is close to a grocery store or coffee shop, so you can knock out errands or recharge yourself with a latte while you wait.
The road ahead
We know it can be harder to find charging stations that will take your preferred form of payment. So Google Maps will show you what payment methods are accepted at stations across Canada, coast to coast.
These new features are now rolling out for cars with Google Maps built in — currently the Polestar 2 and Volvo XC40 Recharge — with more car models to come.
Related Google News:
- Your Android is now even safer — and 5 other new features February 23, 2021
- New Password Checkup Feature Coming to Android February 23, 2021
- Our all-new TalkBack screen reader February 23, 2021
- How one trailblazer uses Maps to explore the outdoors February 23, 2021
- Celebrating Black History Month at Google Canada: Meet Blessing Nnachi February 23, 2021
- Improvements for locating new comments and important conversations in Google Docs February 22, 2021
- New Association functionality added to Search Console February 22, 2021
- New option to download third-party apps and domain wide delegation to CSV February 18, 2021
February 17, 2021