Changes to Google Chat migration timeline
In an effort to make the migration process as easy as possible, we just announced that we’re extending the timeline Google Workspace and G Suite for Education customers have to migrate from classic Hangouts to Google Chat.
In June, we introduced the Chat preferred setting in the Admin console to allow any admin to opt in to migrate all end users to Chat. We also made Chat preferred configurable at the organizational unit level.
In 2021, we will start migrating all remaining customers with “Chat and classic Hangouts” and “classic Hangouts only” settings selected to Chat. Here’s what you can expect:
- Opt-out upgrade (no earlier than Q2 2021): All customers will be migrated to Chat Preferred unless their admins explicitly opt out. Customers who only have enabled Chat, with classic Hangouts completely disabled, will not be impacted.
- Mandatory upgrade (late 2021): All remaining customers will be migrated to Chat Preferred, and we will fully replace classic Hangouts with Chat. There will be no option to opt out at this stage.
We will provide advance notice (4 weeks minimum) on the Google Workspace Updates blog before each phase begins. Stay tuned for more information.
- Admins: No action is needed at this time. Check out the Help Center for more information on transitioning your users to Chat.
- End users: There is no end-user action for these changes.
- Google Workspace Admin Help: Google Chat upgrade timeline
- Keyword: The latest with Google Hangouts and what to expect with the future upgrade to Google Chat
Related Google News:
- Google Workspace Updates Weekly Recap - February 26, 2021 February 26, 2021
- Cash App uses Google Cloud to power mobile payments innovation and research February 26, 2021
- Troubleshooting services on Google Kubernetes Engine by example February 26, 2021
- A Matter of Impact: February updates from Google.org February 26, 2021
- Black History Month: Celebrating the success of Black founders with Google Cloud: Switchboard Live February 26, 2021
- Let Google Calendar automatically book a replacement room for your events February 25, 2021
- New Cloud Security Podcast by Google is here February 25, 2021
- Reminder: Ending support for IE11 for all Google Workspace apps on March 15 February 25, 2021