Changes to Google Chat migration timeline
In an effort to make the migration process as easy as possible, we just announced that we’re extending the timeline Google Workspace and G Suite for Education customers have to migrate from classic Hangouts to Google Chat.
In June, we introduced the Chat preferred setting in the Admin console to allow any admin to opt in to migrate all end users to Chat. We also made Chat preferred configurable at the organizational unit level.
In 2021, we will start migrating all remaining customers with “Chat and classic Hangouts” and “classic Hangouts only” settings selected to Chat. Here’s what you can expect:
- Opt-out upgrade (no earlier than Q2 2021): All customers will be migrated to Chat Preferred unless their admins explicitly opt out. Customers who only have enabled Chat, with classic Hangouts completely disabled, will not be impacted.
- Mandatory upgrade (late 2021): All remaining customers will be migrated to Chat Preferred, and we will fully replace classic Hangouts with Chat. There will be no option to opt out at this stage.
We will provide advance notice (4 weeks minimum) on the Google Workspace Updates blog before each phase begins. Stay tuned for more information.
- Admins: No action is needed at this time. Check out the Help Center for more information on transitioning your users to Chat.
- End users: There is no end-user action for these changes.
- Google Workspace Admin Help: Google Chat upgrade timeline
- Keyword: The latest with Google Hangouts and what to expect with the future upgrade to Google Chat
Related Google News:
- Google Workspace Updates Weekly Recap - April 30, 2021 April 30, 2021
- This week’s stories from Google Cloud: April 30, 2021 April 30, 2021
- A Matter of Impact: April updates from Google.org April 30, 2021
- Applications are now open for the first Google Cloud Accelerator Canada April 30, 2021
- Updated guidance to improve your app quality and discovery on Google Play April 29, 2021
- Trash to treasure: How Google thinks about deconstruction April 29, 2021
- Five ways we’re making Google the safer way to search April 29, 2021
- How we fought Search spam on Google in 2020 April 29, 2021