By day and by night: video call, no matter the lighting
To make sure we’re constantly improving Google Duo, we visit people from around the world to understand the challenges they face in video calling their loved ones. There was one particular condition we saw people consistently struggle with across cultures and environments: poor lighting.
In many places, electric lighting is a significant challenge, preventing people from connecting face to face. People often light their homes with a single bulb when electricity is expensive, and even then, power outages remain common in many areas, leaving people in the dark during the evening when many video calls with family and friends happen. Even when electricity is not an issue, many people just want to video call to say good night right before bed, keep each other company as they watch TV together or enjoy a quick chat while they’re outside in the evening.
These challenges are the reasons why we are bringing low light mode to Duo. Low light mode helps people connect with each other face to face, even when the lighting conditions aren’t optimal. The video call will adjust so people in the frame are more visible when the phone detects dim lighting. Low light mode will start rolling out globally to iOS and Android users this week.
With low light mode on Duo, just start a video call and you can toggle the feature on or off as part of your in-call controls.
Now, there will be no more leaving each other in the dark.
Related Google News:
- Cash App uses Google Cloud to power mobile payments innovation and research February 26, 2021
- A Matter of Impact: February updates from Google.org February 26, 2021
- Framework for building a configuration driven data lake using Data Fusion and Composer February 25, 2021
- How Sabre Corporation implemented a culture of secure innovation with Google Cloud and Palo… February 25, 2021
- Celebrating the influence and contributions of Black+ Security & Privacy Googlers February 25, 2021
- Easily locate the source file for embedded Drive video and audio files in Google Slides February 25, 2021
- MongoDB and Google Partner To Drive Enterprise Cloud Modernization February 25, 2021
- MongoDB and Google Extend Partnership To Drive Enterprise Cloud Modernization February 25, 2021