Better privacy when screen sharing with muted web notifications
Quick launch summary
Now when you’re sharing your screen, Chrome will automatically hide the content of web pop-up notifications. This includes notifications from Google Chat, email notifications, and other third party websites.
When you’re done sharing your screen, all muted notifications will be automatically displayed. Note that notifications are already muted when sharing a tab in Google Meet.
There has been a dramatic shift in how many of us work – now more than ever, we’re relying on the use of Google Meet and other screen sharing solutions. We hope this feature will reduce distractions and prevent sensitive or personal information from accidentally being displayed while sharing your screen.
- Admins: There is no admin control for this feature.
- End users: When sharing your screen, notification content will automatically be hidden. You can hover over a notification and select “Mute” to dismiss a notification and prevent any additional notifications. Or you can select “Show Content”, which will display content for the current and future notifications.
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Full rollout (1–3 days for feature visibility) starting on January 25, 2021
- Available to Google Workspace Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, and Enterprise Plus, as well as G Suite Basic, Business, Education, Enterprise for Education, and Nonprofits customers
- Available to users with personal Google Accounts
Related Google News:
- Google Search sends more traffic to the open web every year March 24, 2021
- New and improved Google Chat UI on the web March 22, 2021
- Be informed when someone subscribes to email notifications of your Calendar March 22, 2021
- Snooze Google Calendar desktop notifications March 16, 2021
- Need a better night’s sleep? Meet the new Nest Hub March 16, 2021
- New ways to keep track of important notifications in Google Drive on mobile March 15, 2021
- Version history now available for Jamboard on web March 12, 2021
- A Spectre proof-of-concept for a Spectre-proof web March 12, 2021