Better conversion measurement for video ads on YouTube and our network
From sparking an idea to helping people make that final decision, online video plays an important role in helping consumers make purchases. In fact, 70 percent of people say they bought a brand as a result of seeing it on YouTube. For advertisers, measuring video campaigns and conversions accurately has never been more important—or more complex—given all the different paths the consumer journey can take.
That’s why we’ve been researching engaged-view conversions (EVC), a more robust non-click conversion metric. EVCs measure the conversions that take place after someone views 10 seconds or more of your skippable ad, but doesn’t click, and then converts within a set amount of days. EVCs are a more robust way to measure conversions than view-through conversions (VTCs), an industry standard that measures the conversions that take place after a person views an impression of your ad, but doesn’t click.
We’ve heard from advertisers that it can be challenging to assess the impact of video ad campaigns on conversions when you can’t compare across ad formats. That is why today we’re announcing that by the end of the year we will make engaged-view conversions a standard way of measuring conversions for TrueView skippable in-stream ads, Local campaigns and App campaigns. Our vision for the coming year is to give you more transparent reporting across both click and engaged-view conversions, aggregated and anonymously, and new configurability options for conversion measurement to make data-driven media decisions for your business.
Engaged-view conversions are informed by incrementality studies
Our teams have run large-scale incrementality studies over the years that confirmed the causal impact of video ad campaigns were undervalued when considering clicks alone. Based on these studies, we found that most incremental conversions come from engaged users who are given the option to skip, but choose to watch your ad. In fact, over 60 percent1 of all skips on YouTube direct response in-stream video ads happen before 10 seconds. Therefore, the decision to watch 10 seconds of a skippable ad is a user choice that signals an ‘engaged-view’. When these engaged-views result in conversions within a set amount of days, engaged-view conversions are included in the conversion report.
The incrementality studies we ran also determined the default attribution window for engaged-view conversions. The default attribution window is tailored based on consumer behavior for each campaign goal and is set to three days for TrueView for action, two days for App campaigns for Install and one day for App campaigns for engagement. But you know your business best, and will be able to set the right attribution window based on your customers’ behavior and campaign goals in the coming year.
We look forward to seeing how engaged-view conversions can help you understand the value of your ads and grow your business as user behavior evolves and new viewing habits, devices and experiences become available.
Some of the mentioned features are in beta, contact your Google representative for more details.
1. YouTube data, Global, Dec 2019
Related Google News:
- Cash App uses Google Cloud to power mobile payments innovation and research February 26, 2021
- Providing better product information for shoppers February 26, 2021
- Framework for building a configuration driven data lake using Data Fusion and Composer February 25, 2021
- How Sabre Corporation implemented a culture of secure innovation with Google Cloud and Palo… February 25, 2021
- Celebrating the influence and contributions of Black+ Security & Privacy Googlers February 25, 2021
- Easily locate the source file for embedded Drive video and audio files in Google Slides February 25, 2021
- MongoDB and Google Partner To Drive Enterprise Cloud Modernization February 25, 2021
- MongoDB and Google Extend Partnership To Drive Enterprise Cloud Modernization February 25, 2021