Announcing New Smart Home SHED Types and Traits
Posted by Toni Klopfenstein, Developer Advocate
Back in April, we released the first set of Smart Home Entertainment Device (SHED) types, including TV, set-top box, and remote, as well as the traits AppSelector, InputSelector, MediaState, TransportControl, and Volume. We are excited to announce the release of new Smart Home Entertainment Device (SHED) types and traits. These new device types and traits compliment the original set we released earlier this year, and help build out a more complete solution for smart home media and gaming devices. By implementing these types and traits on your entertainment devices, you can enable users to fully access device and media controls from any Assistant surface.
SHED Types and Traits
To expand the SHED options, we’ve released the following new device types for Smart Home:
- Audio-video receiver
- Streaming box
- Streaming stick
- Streaming soundbar
We’ve also released the following new trait:
To ensure a consistent, high-quality experience for all end users, each of these device types require your service to report
playbackStatus to Google using the ReportState API. This requirement improves the portability between media devices and helps the Assistant better understand user intents for these devices. By implementing the complete set of recommended device traits, you can further improve the quality of your smart home Action and improve device targeting for media playback command fulfilment.
For more information on how to implement these new device features, check out the docs and samples. You can also join us at our “Hey Google” Smart Home Virtual Summit to learn more about these new features.
We want to hear from you, so continue sharing your feedback with us through the issue tracker, and engage with other smart home developers in the /r/GoogleAssistantDev community. Follow @ActionsOnGoogle on Twitter for more of our team’s updates, and tweet using #AoGDevs to share what you’re working on. We can’t wait to see what you build!
Related Google News:
- Choose the best way to use and authenticate service accounts on Google Cloud April 27, 2021
- Apply context-aware access policies to mobile and desktop applications April 27, 2021
- Turbocharge workloads with new multi-instance NVIDIA GPUs on GKE April 27, 2021
- Introducing new connectors for Workflows April 26, 2021
- Recommended strategies and best practices for designing and developing games and stories on… April 26, 2021
- Colgate-Palmolive moves to the cloud with Chrome Enterprise and Google Workspace April 26, 2021
- Data analytics and intelligence tools to play a key role post-COVID April 23, 2021
- Chrome 91: Handwriting Recognition, WebXR Plane Detection and More April 22, 2021