Announcing New Smart Home SHED Types and Traits
Posted by Toni Klopfenstein, Developer Advocate
Back in April, we released the first set of Smart Home Entertainment Device (SHED) types, including TV, set-top box, and remote, as well as the traits AppSelector, InputSelector, MediaState, TransportControl, and Volume. We are excited to announce the release of new Smart Home Entertainment Device (SHED) types and traits. These new device types and traits compliment the original set we released earlier this year, and help build out a more complete solution for smart home media and gaming devices. By implementing these types and traits on your entertainment devices, you can enable users to fully access device and media controls from any Assistant surface.
SHED Types and Traits
To expand the SHED options, we’ve released the following new device types for Smart Home:
- Audio-video receiver
- Streaming box
- Streaming stick
- Streaming soundbar
We’ve also released the following new trait:
To ensure a consistent, high-quality experience for all end users, each of these device types require your service to report
playbackStatus to Google using the ReportState API. This requirement improves the portability between media devices and helps the Assistant better understand user intents for these devices. By implementing the complete set of recommended device traits, you can further improve the quality of your smart home Action and improve device targeting for media playback command fulfilment.
For more information on how to implement these new device features, check out the docs and samples. You can also join us at our “Hey Google” Smart Home Virtual Summit to learn more about these new features.
We want to hear from you, so continue sharing your feedback with us through the issue tracker, and engage with other smart home developers in the /r/GoogleAssistantDev community. Follow @ActionsOnGoogle on Twitter for more of our team’s updates, and tweet using #AoGDevs to share what you’re working on. We can’t wait to see what you build!
Related Google News:
- Architect your data lake on Google Cloud with Data Fusion and Composer February 19, 2021
- New option to download third-party apps and domain wide delegation to CSV February 18, 2021
- Changes to information visibility in Meet quality tool, Meet audit log, and Reports API February 18, 2021
- New Calendar admin privilege hierarchy in the Admin console February 18, 2021
- Basis Universal Textures - Khronos Ratification and Support February 18, 2021
- New framework expands Google Cloud access globally February 18, 2021
- Signify chooses Google Cloud IoT Core to power Philips Hue smart lighting February 18, 2021
- New in Google Cloud VMware Engine: improved reach, networking and scale February 18, 2021