Android Wear, it’s time for a new name
Android Wear was founded on the belief that wearable technology should be for everyone, no matter what style you wear on your wrist or what phone you have in your pocket. Since then, we’ve partnered with top watch and electronics brands to create more than 50 watches to help you manage your fitness, connect with the people who matter most, and show you the information you care about. The best part: We’re just scratching the surface of what’s possible with wearables and there’s even more exciting work ahead.
As our technology and partnerships have evolved, so have our users. In 2017, one out of three new Android Wear watch owners also used an iPhone. So as the watch industry gears up for another Baselworld next week, we’re announcing a new name that better reflects our technology, vision, and most important of all—the people who wear our watches. We’re now Wear OS by Google, a wearables operating system for everyone.
You’ll begin to see the new name on your watch and phone app over the next few weeks.
Related Google News:
- Using BigQuery Administrator for real-time monitoring March 25, 2021
- Announcing the Android Ready SE Alliance March 25, 2021
- New for education sites: Practice problems and Math solver structured data March 25, 2021
- Sustainable Monetized Websites: A new video series March 24, 2021
- Safeguarding time and attention with Google Workspace and Gmail March 23, 2021
- New and improved Google Chat UI on the web March 22, 2021
- Additional language support for live captions in Google Meet on Android and iOS devices March 22, 2021
- Building real-time market data front-ends with websockets and Google Cloud March 18, 2021