Additional language support for live captions in Google Meet
Quick launch summary
We’re expanding live captions in Google Meet to French, German, Portuguese and Spanish (Spain and Latin America) speakers. They were previously only available in English. Live captions allow deaf and hard of hearing users, users with different primary languages, and users in noisy environments to participate more fully in meetings.
During a Meet call, each video call participant will be able to select the meeting’s spoken language when enabling captions.
|Choose your captions language in Google Meet.|
Captions setting will also be “sticky.” This means that if you turn them on or off during a meeting, they will be saved, along with the chosen language, for future meetings.
Non-English captions are currently available on the web to APAC and EMEA countries only, with rollout to North America and Latin America coming in early 2021. Additionally we’ll also expand support to iOS and Android mobile apps in early 2021.
- Admins: There is no admin control for this feature.
- End users: This feature will be available by default in APAC and EMEA countries. Visit the Help Center to learn more about using captions in Meet.
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on December 15, 2020
- Available to Google Workspace Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, and Enterprise Plus, as well as G Suite Basic, Business, Education, Enterprise for Education, and Nonprofits customers. Also available to users with personal Google Accounts.
Related Google News:
- Add and manage four new types of citations in Google Docs March 31, 2021
- Modernizing your Google App Engine applications March 31, 2021
- How fact checkers and Google.org are fighting misinformation March 31, 2021
- Google News Showcase is launching in Italy March 31, 2021
- Say "Hey Google..." to the new Fiat 500 Family March 31, 2021
- Google's €25 million contribution to media literacy March 31, 2021
- How Google Cloud can help the Public Sector embrace zero trust March 30, 2021
- Albertsons and Google are making grocery shopping easier with cloud technology March 30, 2021