Adding present and chat Meet moderator capabilities for education users
We’re giving hosts (meeting creators and calendar owners) of G Suite for Education meetings new meeting safety controls to manage who can share their screen and who can send chat messages within the meeting.
Manage who can share their screen
To control who can share their screen in a meeting, hosts can turn “Share their screen” on or off. By default, this setting will be on.
When “Share their screen” is on, participants will see the option to share their screen to all meeting participants.
When “Share their screen” is off:
- Only the host can share their screen.
- The option to “Present now” won’t show for participants.
Hosts can turn “Share their screen” on or off from within meetings on the web. Hosts will not see the option to change this setting on mobile devices.
Manage who can send in-meeting chat messages
To control who can send chat messages in a meeting, hosts can turn “Send chat messages” on or off. By default, this setting will be on.
When “Send chat messages” is on, participants will see the option to send chat messages to meeting participants.
When “Send chat messages” is off:
- Only the host can send chat messages, but participants will still be able to see messages sent by the host.
- Messages sent when “Send chat messages” was on will still show in the chat history.
Hosts can turn “Send chat messages” on or off from within meetings on the web. Hosts will not see the option to change this setting on mobile devices.
|Moderator controls for who can share their screen|
|Moderator controls for who can send chat messages|
If you’re unable to turn the features on or off, it’s possible that you have a Chrome extension for Meet which is preventing the features from working. To fix the issue, try turning your Meet Chrome extensions off.
Admins: There are no admin controls for these features.
End users: These features will be on by default and can be turned on or off by the host during each meeting. Visit the Help Center to learn more about turning these features on or off in your meetings.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility)
- Available to all G Suite for Education and G Suite Enterprise for Education customers
- Not available to G Suite Essentials, G Suite Basic, G Suite Business, G Suite Enterprise, and G Suite for Nonprofits customers
- This feature was listed as an upcoming G Suite release.
Related Google News:
- Architect your data lake on Google Cloud with Data Fusion and Composer February 19, 2021
- New option to download third-party apps and domain wide delegation to CSV February 18, 2021
- Changes to information visibility in Meet quality tool, Meet audit log, and Reports API February 18, 2021
- Basis Universal Textures - Khronos Ratification and Support February 18, 2021
- New in Google Cloud VMware Engine: improved reach, networking and scale February 18, 2021
- A look at how we tackle fake and fraudulent contributed content February 18, 2021
- Introducing Google Workspace for Education February 17, 2021
- Mute all Google Meet participants at once February 17, 2021