A smarter smart home from Google and Samsung
So many products come together to power a smart home—light bulbs, thermostats, TVs, speakers…the list goes on and on. To make it easier for you to control all of your connected devices, we’ve been working closely with manufacturers to make sure your devices communicate and work across the smart home ecosystem. Coming soon, your Assistant and Nest devices will now interoperate more easily with your Samsung smart devices in your home.
You’ll be able access and control your Nest devices, like Nest cameras, thermostats and doorbells with the SmartThings app—and even through Samsung smart home devices, like smart TVs and refrigerators. Previously, you could only do things like set the temperature remotely or view your camera feeds from your Nest devices from the Google Home app, but now you have more ways and more places to control your smart home from (And interested developers can learn more about our Device Access program).
More Samsung smart home appliances and devices will also soon come with voice support from Google. So you can say “Hey Google, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.” And we recently announced that Google Assistant is available on Samsung’s latest lineup of Smart TVs, making it easy to turn your TV on or off, change channels and control the volume without even getting off your couch or digging for the remote.
Setting up your smart devices will also be easier: Samsung now offers simple linking with your Google Assistant right from multiple Samsung apps, including SmartThings to streamline the process. Plus, we’ve also expanded the Google Assistant control of Samsung devices across six new languages (Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Korean and Japanese) to meet users in their native languages.
And to make it even easier to quickly control all your smart home devices, we’re working to bring one of our favorite features of Android 11 to Samsung’s new Galaxy smartphones. When you tap on “Devices” in the Quick Panel of the phone, you can choose an option among multiple apps and see all connected devices within the app on one screen.
Whether you’re starting the dishwasher or checking the porch for packages, Google, Samsung and SmartThings can make the increasingly connected home a little bit smarter.
Related Google News:
- A Matter of Impact: March updates from Google.org March 26, 2021
- Discover the best products for everything on Google March 26, 2021
- Run a transformed supply chain – see how at Google’s Digital Supply Chain summit March 25, 2021
- Four ways CSPs can harness data, automation, and AI to create business value March 25, 2021
- TELUS International migrates key customer experience app to Google Cloud March 25, 2021
- Meet the EMEA startups and scaleups redefining their industries with cloud technology March 25, 2021
- New for education sites: Practice problems and Math solver structured data March 25, 2021
- Picture this: 10 whiteboard sketch videos that bring Google Cloud to life March 24, 2021